Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Slow dance on the high seas - Ch. 1

"Oh, I'm so sorry!"

The words stammered out of his mouth as the glass clanged to a stop on the hardwood deck.

She sat stock-still, drenched in the remains of a Pina-Colada.

She slowly raised her hands, and removed her big splattered sunglasses as he looked on, mortified.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sor-" she silenced the wash of apologies with an upraised hand.

His eyes just grew wider, threatening to engulf his entire face.

She couldn't help but smile at the cuteness of his terror.

"It's okay, it's okay!" she said getting up and assessing the damage. Her baggy shirt was soaked through to her shorts and part of her brown hair stuck awkwardly to her head.

He looked like he was about to cry.

Looking to and fro like a trapped animal, he spied and leapt for a towel.

"I'm so so sorry," he awkwardly dabbed at her face and hair as she just sat bemused at his predicament.

"It really is okay, you know," she said through her widening smile.

He paused.

His head slightly tilted to the side, and he stared transfixed at her, as if seeing her a new.

"You're beautiful," he breathed un-lucidly.

She stared right back at him, heart beating in her ears.

He snapped his head down, blushing profusely as he realised he had said it out loud.

"I'msosorry," the words tumbled out of his mouth, eyes still boring holes in the floor.

"Shush," she said, pink creeping onto her cheeks.

She hesitated for a moment.

"Hey, umm, you want to sit with me for a bit?" she asked.

As if in a fevered daze, he looked up, eyes wide as ever, nodded quickly and sat down a bit too fast at the foot of her long-chair.

Awkward silence ensued. She continued to dab at her clothes absent-mindedly, looking at him from the corner of her eye. He stared at his shoes, stealing glances at her.

Their eyes met.

"I'm Jay."

'I'm Roo."

They blurted at the same time, and quickly looked away, blush intensifying.

Jay took a breath.

"So, ummm, what brings you here?'

"I don't know, what brings any of us anywhere?"

He just stared at her, mouth slightly open in amazement.

She looked down, embarrassed smiling playing on her lips.

He laughed.

"God, you're amazing," he said before he could stop himself, and looked away again.

It was her turn to laugh, "you're quite something yourself. Do you compliment all the girls you spill cocktails on?"

With his cheeks burning red, he looked at her and said, "I don't know what's come over me, I'm never like this, so forward and stuff, I just saw you and couldn't stop staring and I spilled all over you and I'm so sorry and yeah."

She laughs heartily. He looks down completely crimson with embarrassment.

"Hey hey no, hey look at me," she says placing her hand on him. "I'm telling you it's okay, okay? You are so sweet for telling me that and being honest with me. It means a lot okay."

She gave his shoulder a squeeze. He managed a shy smile and looked at her again.

"You're really beautiful Roo."

"Thanks Jay, you really are too," she said softly.

The revelled in the natural connection between them.

Jay suddenly got up. "Hey Roo, can I buy you a drink? I'd love to start over and talk to you," he said sheepishly.

"I would love to!" she beamed. "Let me just change and I'll meet you at the bar in 10 minutes?"

"That's perfect!" Jay could barely hold his excitement. "I"ll see you in just a bit!"

"Just a bit, Jay."

No comments:

Post a Comment

A precious instance of student agency

21/07/2021     Last week, we had our dreaded MYP Audit. Through two weeks’ worth of blood, sweat, and mostly, tears we did manage to put on ...