Saturday, March 19, 2016

What My Teachers Taught Me



My math teacher taught me that
The years of effort our teachers put in
are walls of whiteboards filled with workings
of cascading equations, deciphering the universe
and how the journey is just as important as the answer

My english teacher taught me that
The love our teachers have for us
cannot be contained in the libraries of the world
driving us to read and write and write and read,
we made friends out of books, and lived a thousand lives

My science teacher taught me that
The respect teachers deserve is tantamount to
the infinite space between atoms and
the earthshattering energy it would take to pry them apart
akin to a mother losing grip of her child

The lessons our teachers teach us
Are never for just the classroom
Never just for passing
They are the whetstone that sharpen us
The guided fingers that shape us
And the message, to pass along those lessons
That have made us


Performed at Dheere Bolo's Open Mic at AQS, Islamabad, 3/18/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

A precious instance of student agency

21/07/2021     Last week, we had our dreaded MYP Audit. Through two weeks’ worth of blood, sweat, and mostly, tears we did manage to put on ...